Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bad Roads and High Altitudes

When we got up and had breakfast our guide told us that the person to check the bikes and issue the pass left last night back to the border town Zhangmu for an emergency, and that we he had mad arrangement for us to got back on the road being constructed for two thirds the way where we will meet this official to finalize our pass.

So we went back on the same road we got on last night until we reached a part where they were laying new asphalt, and the machine blocking our way. We had to squeeze past it pushing the bikes on the very narrow concrete edge.

We rode down and met the officials we checked out chassis number and engine number, signed some papers and we were on our way back to go past Nyalam to Tigri until we reached the asphalt laying machine with no were to pass since the concrete edge was on a ledge.

We waited for two hours mostly laying down and resting form the low oxygen, until there was an opening for us to pass. We continued and passed Nyalam on our way to Tigri.

On the way we met the first construction which had us going off road on a rocky passage where I dropped the bike once, and barely had enough energy to pick it up due to the low oxygen.

We then got on a gravel road to an altitude of 5140 m (16900 ft) above sea level and saw the second tallest peak I was almost was out of breath for the picture. We then descended until it was afternoon and we knew that we would not reach Tingri in the day time, so we stopped to pray. After prayers I was too tired to ride I gave the bike to one of our guides who is a good rider, and I rode in the car.

We passed more construction parts were the detour was a very sandy road. The guys had a very difficult time at the begging taking turns falling, until we caught up in the car and started to help them, and push.

At one time Ali was ahead, and Husain had difficulties in the deep sand, so I rode Husain's bike while he rested in the car for a while. It was easier for me since he had the low seat and didn’t stop until I reach the road. Once they saw the end was close they all followed and reached the road safely. They then rode anther two hours until we reached Tigri. Around 11 pm



  1. AnonymousJune 24, 2009

    الحمدلله على سلامتكم وما تشوفون شر .... والله يسهل دربكم

    علي هادي

  2. AnonymousJune 24, 2009

    Salam to all.True spirit(True Bikers). Now you have some unforgettable wonderful memories on you for the rest of your lives.Mash-Allah you all look well(Zrouqa). JJ asking how is the food? Keep going and may God bless you & keep you safe.
    Bu Abdulrazaq

  3. alla ya36eekom il 3afya ...
    stay safe guys.

    Dhari G.

  4. AnonymousJune 26, 2009

    Salam to you all guys
    Thanks god you are all safe after this sandy trip and you really proof that the Kuwaitis can do any think and they can challenge the difficulties to raise their Lovely Country Flag ....keep it going and take extra care.

    Hasan Al-Bairami

  5. I wish I was there with you guys and my camera. God bless you all and stay safe. Regards from all the family and my kids are proud of their uncle Ali the Boss of fire.

  6. Nice to see all three of you enjoying the tour despite of all the odds in the way. Wish you good luck for remaining of your trip.

  7. AnonymousJuly 02, 2009

    dear all
    nice feed back keep the picture coming wish you all the best and safe journey guys please no shaving until you are safely @ home
    Abdulla Hussain